Thursday, October 6, 2011

Sleeps with butterflies


I thought of Tori Amos' song "Sleeps with butterflies" and how much I loved it six years ago while making this paper cutting.
This is my second try at paper cutting. I chose three of my favorite butterlies: the Common Green Birdwing (Ornithoptera priamus); the Monarch butterfly (Danaus plexippus) and the Common Yellow Swallowtail (Papilio machaon). The fourth butterfly is supposed to be a Glasswing butterfly. The magnet butterfly placed beside the paper cutting is an imitation of a Rice Paper butterfly (Idea leuconoe).
Monarch butterflies may not be the butterflies I love most. However, the story of their very long journey (about 4000 km) from the USA to Mexico every year has always bewitched me.
Have you ever heard of this annual migration ? What a fascinating picture in which there are hundred thousand Monarchs floating in the air!

No comments:

Post a Comment