Tuesday, August 28, 2012

My trip to Bruges, Belgium

It's time to pack my bags to leave home, discover the world and open up my mind.
The destination this time is Bruges- the capital city of the province of West Flanders in the Flemish Region of Belgium. Some friends of mine went there and adore the place so badly, that they suggested me to visit the city all the time.
I now also adore the city exactly the same as my friends do, after I came back home from there.
I spent one week in Bruges. Most of the time I strolled around, looked for a nice spot to make some sketches, stayed in the spot for several hours to sketch and got me later something tasty to eat. I didn't feel lonely at all while sketching, since there were always people coming to talk to me. They asked, if they were allowed to have a look at the sketches  I made, where I come from, and where I'm planning to go to on my journey. I'm really happy, since no one came and asked me stupid questions, such as why I don't just purchase a camera to take pictures, then go to other sight-seeing spots.
Everyday at breakfast, the owner of the B&B, where I stayed in Bruges, asked me, if I made some new sketches. I showed the sketches and we talked about the buildings I drew. She showed me a catalog of a Japanese landscape painter, who used to stay at her B&B one month and made a lot of  lovely sketches of landscape in Bruges. On my 3rd day in Bruges, while sketching, I met one old Belgian artist. He invited me to visit his atelier. What lovely paintings he has done! (AQUARELLE Lucien Vanden Steen- Peerdenstraat 17b, Bruges)
I enjoyed my time in Bruges. Good food. Good weather. Nice people.

20.08.2012- My 1st day in Bruges
This sketch shows the view from my room upon the B&B's garden. I left it in the B&B's guestbook to acknowledge my visitation in Bruges.


21.08.2012- My 2nd day in Bruges
Belfort (13th century)- the bell tower in the historical centre of Bruges. Sketch done at the market square, at 00:40 am. I gave the sketch to a very good friend of mine as a birthday present.


Bonne Chiere windmill (1844, from 1911 in Bruges). Sketch done at 05:50 pm.


Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk (The Church of Our Lady) (1220). Sketch done at Rozenhoedkaai, at 22:45.


22.08.2012- My 3rd day in Bruges
Kasteel Minnewater- a charming restaurant located at the "Lake of Love". Next time when I come back to Bruges, I'd like to have dinner by candlelight with my beloved at this restaurant. Sketch done at 04:30 pm.


Guesthouse Coté Canal- House of Fidel- the most photographed dog in Bruges. You can see Fidel in the trailer of the movie "In Bruges" directed by Martin McDonagh. Sketch done on Groenerei street, at 08:30 pm.


23.08.2012- I headed to the sea.
Mercator ship (1931) in Oostende, used by the Belgian Navy for the instruction of the military sailors and navy-men. Sketch done at 05:00 pm.


24.08.2012- My last night in Bruges. It rained all night long.
Blinde Ezelstraat ( Blind-Donkey-Street)- a narrow street runs from the Burg to the fish market. Sketch done at 11:00 pm.


P.S.: While I was sketching the Blinde Ezelstraat, I met Lies Ackaert- a blogger in Bruges, Belgium. She writes blog entries in Dutch about interesting things and people she encountered in her beautiful hometown. Check her blog entry about me here.


7 comments:

  1. It was sóóóóó nice to meet you, Mai !
    You have a lovely blog, and... you are a great talent !
    Lie(f)s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lies!
      Love the photos of me you took and your blog entries!
      There is a lot of interesting things and people in Bruges! :)

      Delete
  2. Your sketches are so charming. They remind me of a French animation called The Illusionist in which a French magician relocates to Edinburgh. Me and a friend are looking to visit Bruges on Thursday. Where did you stay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tomas!
      Thank you for the comment!
      I have watched The Illusionist two times. It's a great movie. :)
      When I was in Bruges, I stayed at B&B Royal Stewart. The B&B is located at the centrum of the city, but it's quiet there. The owner comes from Scotland. If you don't have any problem with dogs, the B&B could be very cozy and comfortable to you, since the owner has 2 small dogs. I attached the link from tripadvisor, sothat you can have a look at some pics taken from the B&B.
      I wish you a nice trip in Bruges.
      http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g188671-d626998-Reviews-Royal_Stewart_Bed_Breakfast-Bruges_West_Flanders_Province.html

      Delete
  3. Hi!
    My name is Amy and I'm with Dwellable.
    I was looking for posts about Bruges to share on our travel site and I came across your blog...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at amy(at)dwellable(dot)com.
    Hope to hear from you soon!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete